WELCOME TO MONTWOOD HIGH SCHOOL'S
SOCIAL STUDIES DEPARTMENT WEBPAGE!!!
Why study Social Studies?
1. To Develop skills that are useful in other areas
a. Historians/Geographers read, write, think
2. To learn about yourself
a. Study human beings, even though people lived in different times & places
3. To learn about your society
a. About the U.S. and other countries
b. Basic survival skills
c. The U.S. is a patient w/ issues and we lay it down to find out why it is the way it is.
4. Learn to understand people who are different.
a. Be Objective ( why a person thinks the way he/she thinks)
5. To gain Perspective ( to see the bigger picture)
6. To gain Inspiration (life is hard as seen throughout history)
7. Gain a reason for living (what is our purpose)
a. Keep liberty alive – life, liberty, pursuit of happiness
8. Feel a sense of connection to the past
9. Give yourself time to dream/wonder
a. Historians/Geographers question
10. Helps us understand change
a. Past causes the present, and so the future.