Skills Attainted by end of Course
(Local Competency Profile requires 85% objective attainment and 90% attendance)
1. Successfully construct dresses, pants, shirts and skirts.
2. Ability to identify different fabrics and their method of construction.
3. Ability to perform alterations to garments.
4. Ability to operate a sewing machine and adjust it according to fabric, notions and garment
5. Ability to illustrate garment
6. Basic knowledge of manufactured and natural fiber characteristics
7. Knowledge of the best way to launder different garments
8. Knowledge of merchandising techniques in the current retail market.
9. Understanding the cycle of fashion trends
10. Knowledge of the different stitches, hems and the attachment methods of notions.
11. Knowledge of color and its effect on the design and construction of apparel.
12. Ability to put together an outfit with color schemes and proportions that fit a client’s personal needs
13. Knowledge of influences on garment construction
14. .Ability to read and apply patterns to fabrics in order to create a garment
15. Ability to put together wardrobe on a budget through redesign and repair