Montwood Middle School
Student Dress Code
I. Student Uniform
Khaki or navy blue uniform style pants, skorts, capris, or shorts WORN AT NATURAL waist. SKIRTS ARE NOT ALLOWED! NO SIDE POCKETS ON PANTS OR SHORTS!
Polo shirts/school colors only (maroon, navy blue, white or hunter green) or school activity tee-shirts.
Any shirt worn under the uniform must be solid school colors.
All shirts must have a sleeve and worn tucked in anytime in the building.
Uniforms must be buttoned appropriately and fit properly.
All backpacks must be
complete mesh fabric or clear (plastic)
Display is available in the school lobby.
· Must be of normal size. No “over-sized” or X-Large camping/hiking style backpacks will be allowed.
· Absolutely no writing will be allowed on the backpack.
· Any deviation of these specifications will result in confiscation of the backpack in which the parent must come and pick up the backpack.
II. Not Allowed
1. Suggestive or indecent clothing, including gang-related items, alcohol, drugs, things of a sexual nature, cartoon figures dressed in baggy clothing.
2. Caps/Hats worn in the building.
3. Writing on fingers, arms, hands, etc.
4. Backpacks, binders/notebooks etc. must be free of gang related symbols/art, and inappropriate language.
5. Body piercings such as nose, tongue, eyebrow, lips, stomach, etc. NO ear gauges.
6. No earrings on male students. No more than 2 earrings per ear for girls. No earrings larger than 1” on female students.
7. Beaded necklaces of any kind must be worn inside shirt.
8. Haircuts or hairstyles that are distractive such as Mohawks or Mohawk style, spikes, mushroom, and/or shaved design cut into hair.
9. Unnatural hair colors, two toned hair colors. (Parents are encouraged to prohibit their children from using chemicals on their hair). No unnatural hair color highlights such as blue, purple, green etc.
10. Make-up such as cat eyes, black or brown lipstick, eyeliner, black nail polish, false eyelashes, false fingernails.
11. Shaved eyebrows or shaved cuts in eyebrows.
12. Spandex/leggings/of any kind.
13. Over-sized clothing or jackets/shirt jackets.
14. Hooded pull over sweat shirts.
15. No torn or cut-off shorts or pants. No high tube socks or knee socks with shorts.
16. Initial belt buckles, hairnets, sunglasses (inside the building) ski caps, wallet chains, steel toed shoes or cowboy boots, large chain necklaces and over sized belt buckles.
17. No book sized purses, pull luggage/backpack allowed.
18. No pants/capris rolled up, rubber banded or tucked under.
19. Backless shoes, flip-flops, bedroom slippers (booties or moccasins) and clogs are not permitted for safety reasons. Heelies (shoes with rollers on the bottom) are not permitted.
20. No permanent markers or bottles of liquid paper. No Sharpies.
21. No tight legged, hip riding pants on boys or girls.
22. Electronic devices such as CD players, I-Pods, electronic games, are not permitted.
23. It is the responsibility of the student/parent to collect their confiscated items in a timely manner. Confiscated item will be held by the office. All confiscated items will be donated to charitable associations at the end of each 9 week grading period.
III. If a student violates the dress code:
Student is given the opportunity to notify parents or student will be offered an opportunity to change into a uniform provided.
Student may be placed in SAC until appropriate clothing is obtained.
Third offense and beyond, student will remain in SAC as assigned by administration.
Parent notes will not be accepted for uniform exceptions.
IV. Cell Phone/Telephones
Students will be allowed to use the office phone for parent notification or emergencies only. Please schedule where and when you will meet your child after school. It is important that you pick your child up on time every day. Students are not supervised after 3:30.
Cell phone/texting use is not permitted during instructional/ tutoring time on campus (7:40-4:30).
No texting at any time during the instructional day or during afterschool tutoring. Phones will be confiscated and parents notified for pick up the first time. Future offenses will require parent notification for pick up and a fine of $15.00.
Instructional time (7:40-3:15) will NOT be used to recover cell phones or any kind of item brought to school that is not allowed.
**ON STATE TESTING DAYS
NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED**
ANY OTHER ITEM IDENTIFIED BY THE ADMINISTRATION THROUGHOUT THE YEAR THAT IS DISRUPTIVE OR DISTRACTING TO OTHER STUDENTS OR TO TEACHERS MAY BE ELIMINATED.