PROCEDURES FOR STUDENT TRANSFERS
A. Allowable Transfers
1. Employee Child(ren): Must list name of employee and place of employment
2. Magnet/Special Program: Must list name of program
(i.e. HOSA, Dual Language, IB, SYNERGY-Returning Students Only(10th-12th))
3. As Per District Policy: Must list type of hardship
(Hardship Policy FDA(LEGAL/LOCAL), FD(LEGAL/LOCAL), FDB(LEGAL/LOCAL)
4. Public Education Grant (PEG): Must list campus name
5. Sibling: Must list name and grade of sibling(s)
6. DSC Approved: To be determined by DSC
B. Process for Transfers
1. Secure an In-District Transfer request form from your child’s school or from the Coordinator of Administrative Services;
2. Complete all requested information. The request must include the student’s name, parent’s name, address, phone number(s) grade level for the year for which the transfer is being requested, home school, and desired school. The type of transfer being requested also must be indicated;
3. Receive approval of principal of receiving school;
4. Receive approval of principal of sending school;
5. Submit completed for to Administrative Services; and
6. Receive approval of the Coordinator of Administrative Services
Appeals: Appeals are to be directed to the Assistant Superintendent for Administrative Services.
IN-DISTRICT TRANSFER CATEGORIES
The six categories for In-District Transfers are Employee Child(ren), Magnet/Special Program, As per District Policy, Pubic Education Grant(PEG), Sibling, and DSC Approved. Below is a brief description of each category.
Employee Child(ren)-The Board of Trustees has approved for the children of full time employees of Socorro ISD to transfer from one SISD campus to another.
Magnet/Special Program-A student wishing to enroll in a Magnet/Special Program (High School) may transfer to a school outside of their cluster that offers an academic program that is not offered at their home campus prior to the start of their freshmen year. The entrance requirements and selection process will be established by the school and approved by the District Service Center. A student that leaves an academic program at any time shall have their transfer revoked and shall be returned to their home campus.
As per District Policy-Students may transfer from on Socorro ISD school to another for reasons stated in District Policy FD(Local), FDA(Local), FDB(Legal), FDD(Legal) and FDD(Local). Those reasons for requesting a transfer include but are not limited to:
Public Education Grant(PEG)-A student enrolled in a school identified under the PEG Program has the right to request a transfer to another school in his/her current district or in another district.
Sibling-A sibling transfer can be made for siblings of students who are, or will be, attending the requested school as the same time. Note: A transfer request must be submitted for each sibling affected.
DSC Approved-A transfer may be approved when it is in the best interest of the District by an assistant superintendent.
Transfer Revocation: Parents and students must assume responsibility for satisfying academic progress, attendance, discipline and cooperation with the school staff while at the transfer school. The transfer may be revoked by the principal if the responsibilities stated above are not met at the end of a semester. If a transfer is revoked, a student may not at any time request a transfer back to the same school.
A transfer may be terminated if a child residing in the receiving school’s attendance area is deprived of space due to the enrollment of the transfer student.
Last Modified on March 1, 2012