Socorro ISD through the Federal Title I, Part C Migrant Education Program provides supplemental educational and support services to eligible migrant children. These services help children of migrant workers overcome the disadvantages they face, due to the disruption of their education due to mobility.
Who is a “migratory child?”
Any child below the age of 22, who does not have a U.S. issued diploma or GED and has moved:
- Within the last 36 months
- Across school district or state lines
- With a parent/guardian or on his/her own
- To obtain qualifying migratory work
Migratory work refers to temporary or seasonal employment in fishing work or agricultural work including the production or initial processing of crops, livestock, dairy products and fish as well as the cultivation and harvesting of trees.
Who has priority for service in the Migrant Education Program?
In providing services with Migrant Education Program funds, school districts must give priority for services to migratory students:
- who are failing, or most at risk of failing, to meet the State’s challenging academic content standards and student academic achievement standards, and
- whose education has been interrupted during the regular school year.
Priority for Services means that these students must be served first before any other eligible migratory children can be served.
What services are available for children in the Migrant Education Program?
The Migrant Education program offers a variety of supplemental academic and support services through the school district to meet the educational and health needs of migrant children. Services may include:
- Tutoring Classes
- Clothing/School Supplies
- Early Childhood Education
- Vision and Dental screening
- Free School Lunch Program
- Summer Programs
USDE: Office of Migrant Education
National Center for FarmWorker Health, Inc.
A view into the lives of migrant children. . .
NBC America Now: Children of the Harvest
Migrant Student Services Letter Priority for Services Action PlanFor more information or to see if you qualify for services, please contact: