Socorro ISD Fine Arts believes that experience in the arts is a lifelong vocation for all students grades PK – 12. Our goal is to produce and maintain a comprehensive program for students at all levels that will inspire them to explore and develop their appreciation and talents in music, dance, theater and the visual arts.Socorro Independent School District's Music Education Program Receives National RecognitionSocorro ISD is one of 4% of school districts in nation to receive the NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) distinction
Fine Arts Programs
Socorro Independent School District has outstanding fine arts programs at all levels. The programs include:
- Art at all middle and high school levels with art representatives on all elementary campuses.
- Band for students grades 6-12 and fifth grade on specified campuses. Complete programs are offered encompassing individual performances to jazz to the classics
- Choir is for all students enrolled in grades 6-12 with additional instruction on some elementary campuses.
- Dance is on high school campuses. These programs showcase all forms of dance from ballet to modern to folklorico.
- Flag teams are on all high school campuses and some middle school campus.
- Guitar is on all high school campuses and several middle school campuses.
- Mariachi is offered at three high school campuses and some middle school campuses.
- Orchestra is offered at all high school and middle school campuses.
- Piano is offered at two high school campuses and two middle school campuses.
- Theater is offered to all high school and middle school students throughout the district.
- Marching Contests *SISD & UIL
- Concert and Sightreading in Band, Choir, Orchestra, and Mariachi *SISD & UIL
- Solo and Ensemble *SISD & UIL
- TMEA competitions for individuals and groups at all levels
- District Jazz Festival
- District Art Show
- El Paso Art Show
- Black History Art Show
- Chamizal National Memorial Art Show
- EPCC K-12 Art Exhibits
- Various Art Competitions throughout the year
- UIL One Act Plays--High School and Middle School
Accomplishments 2017 - 2018
- Participate in the El Paso Museum of Art Workshops
- Contribute artwork for the “For The Love Of Earth” exhibit
- Compete in various marching band contests
- Dia De Los Muertos Concert by the middle and high school male chorus
- SISD Employee Art Show
- Veterans Day Parade
- Participate in All Region Band, Choir, Jazz Band, and Orchestra for high school and middle school
- Participate in the Eastwood Percussion Throw Down
- Artwork entered in the EPCC Art Exhibition
- Sun Bowl Parade
- SISD Madrigal
- SISD Winter Holiday Art Contest
- E.A.L. Contest (Dance Educators’ Assessment of Learning)
- Participate in the Young People’s Concert in conjunction with the El Paso Symphony Orchestra
- Middle and high school solo / ensemble contests
- High school state solo / ensemble contest
- Mariachi regional and state contests
- Winter Guard Contests – regional and national
- Southwest Honor Band in conjunction with New Mexico State University
- Black History Art Contest
- Participation in the Texas All State Bands, Orchestras and Jazz Bands
- One Act Play Contests for middle schools and high schools
- SISD and UIL Contests for concert band, choir, jazz band and orchestra
- SISD Art Show
- VASE (Visual Art Scholastic Event) for middle schools and high schools
- State VASE for high schools
- Armed Forces Day Parade
- NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) Best Communities for Music Education Award recipient for two consecutive years
Fine Arts Showcasing Programs:
Watch for the new student work to be showcased at the Socorro District Service Center starting in July. This display of student art work comes from a year long effort on the part of all of our teachers and culminates at the district art show at the end of the year. The works to be displayed are chosen by three different sets of jurors and remain on display for the entire school year.
Socorro Independent School District is the only area school system that offers theater production in all of our middle schools and hosts UIL One Act Play competition for all of our middle schools.Many of our organizations perform at various district, community, and civic functions. Some of these include performing for various functions for the American Cancer Society, Breast Cancer Society, the American Heart Association; as well as the Sun Carnival Activities, Horizon Parade, Black History functions, and the list goes on. District functions include Partner in Education, volunteer functions, and other district office requests.