Fine Arts Programs and Opportunities
Socorro Independent School District has outstanding fine arts programs at all levels. The programs include:
- Art for 6th-12th grade, with art representatives on all elementary campuses.
- Band for 6th-12th grade, and 5th grade on specified campuses. Encompassing marching band, jazz, classics, and individual performances.
- Choir for 6th-12th grade, with additional instruction on some elementary campuses.
- Color Guard for 9th-12th grade.
- Dance for 9th-12th grade. These programs showcase all forms of dance from ballet to modern to folklorico.
- Drill Team for 9th-12th grade.
- Fiddle Group for 9th-12th grade at specified campuses.
- Flag teams for 9th-12th grade and some middle school campus.
- Guitar for 9th-12th grade, and several middle school campuses.
- Mariachi for 9th-12th grade, offered at three high school campuses and some middle school campuses.
- Orchestra for 6th-12th grade.
- Piano for 9th-12th grade at two high school campuses and two middle school campuses.
- Theater for 6th-12th grade; both Performance and Technical options.
Dual Credit and Advanced Placement courses available for some programs.
- Marching Contests *SISD & UIL
- Concert and Sightreading in Band, Choir, Orchestra, and Mariachi *SISD & UIL
- Solo and Ensemble *SISD & UIL
- TMEA competitions for individuals and groups at all levels
- District Jazz Festival
- District Art Show
- El Paso Art Show
- Black History Art Show
- Chamizal National Memorial Art Show
- EPCC K-12 Art Exhibits
- Various Art Competitions throughout the year
- UIL One Act Plays--High School and Middle School
- Participate in the El Paso Museum of Art Workshops
- Contribute artwork for the “For The Love Of Earth” exhibit
- Compete in various marching band contests
- Dia De Los Muertos Concert by the middle and high school male chorus
- SISD Employee Art Show
- Veterans Day Parade
- Participate in All Region Band, Choir, Jazz Band, and Orchestra for high school and middle school
- Participate in the Eastwood Percussion Throw Down
- Artwork entered in the EPCC Art Exhibition
- Sun Bowl Parade
- SISD Madrigal
- SISD Winter Holiday Art Contest
- E.A.L. Contest (Dance Educators’ Assessment of Learning)
- Participate in the Young People’s Concert in conjunction with the El Paso Symphony Orchestra
- Middle and high school solo / ensemble contests
- High school state solo / ensemble contest
- Mariachi regional and state contests
- Winter Guard Contests – regional and national
- Southwest Honor Band in conjunction with New Mexico State University
- Black History Art Contest
- Participation in the Texas All State Bands, Orchestras and Jazz Bands
- One Act Play Contests for middle schools and high schools
- SISD and UIL Contests for concert band, choir, jazz band and orchestra
- SISD Art Show
- VASE (Visual Art Scholastic Event) for middle schools and high schools
- State VASE for high schools
- Armed Forces Day Parade
- NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) Best Communities for Music Education Award recipient for two consecutive years
Fine Arts Showcases
Student work is showcased at the SISD District Service Center starting in July. This display of student art work comes from a year long effort on the part of all of our teachers and culminates at the district art show at the end of the year. The works to be displayed are chosen by three different sets of jurors and remain on display for the entire school year.
Socorro Independent School District is the only area school system that offers theater production in all of our middle schools and hosts UIL One Act Play competition for all of our middle schools.
Many of our organizations perform at various district, community, and civic functions. Some of these include performing for various functions for the American Cancer Society, Breast Cancer Society, the American Heart Association; as well as the Sun Carnival Activities, Horizon Parade, Black History functions, and the list goes on. District functions include Partner in Education, volunteer functions, and other district office requests.