Welcome to the athletic training program. Our program offers a comprehensive education that prepares the student for a career as a Certified/License Athletic Trainer (ATC) through classroom and laboratory instruction and clinical experiences. Students interested in medicine, sports medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, or other allied health care professions will also benefit from the range of opportunities that our program provides.
Student Athletic Trainer Assistants Opportunities
Student Athletic Trainers are students who are interested in helping the Trail Blazer athletic teams by learning skills in first aid and athletic training. As an athletic trainer, there is the privilege of earning a varsity letter jacket just like athletic teams receive. Student athletic trainers must work under the direction and supervision of licensed athletic trainer.
Qualifying for a Student Trainer
Student must be passing all semester classes from the previous semester.
Student must be a full-time day student at Americas High School.
Student must be enrolled in the sports medicine 1 class and or complete course.
Student must complete the application and be interviewed by one of the Licensed Athletic Trainers.
Student must be willing to be available for team practices and events
You must have a physical completed and online forms completed.
Student must show proof of a CPR-First Aid Certification card. If you do not hold one we will certify you in the program.
Application to join the Student Athletic Training Program:
General Duties of all Student Athletic Trainers
1) The student athletic trainer's first duty is to his/her academic studies. The students may be excused from training room duties to pursue academic responsibilities when personally excused by the Licensed athletic trainer.
2) The student athletic trainer is expected to attend all team practices and games unless excused by the Licensed athletic trainer.
3) The student athletic trainer is expected to arrive in the training room before practices and games to administer treatment to the athletes, prepare the necessary equipment, and tape the athletes. When practicing directly after school, the student athletic trainer is to arrive in the training room no later than 10 minutes after school is dismissed. When an athletic contest is not directly after school, the student athletic trainer is to be in the training room 1 hour before the beginning of the event unless that time is changed by the Licensed athletic trainer.
4) During practice, the student athletic trainer is to stand and watch practice. There should never be a group of students together socializing and not watching practice. The student athletic trainer should constantly be aware of the potential for injury to athletes.
5) Under the supervision of the licensed athletic trainer, student athletic trainer is expected to stay with the team until the event is completed, assist with the treatments before and after the event, participate in the evaluation of any new injury, and help clean the training room. The student athletic trainer is encouraged to ask questions about injuries.
6) The student athletic trainer will assist the licensed athletic trainer by preparing equipment for use when asked.
7) The student athletic trainer will be responsible for cleaning and storing equipment used during practices and games. Student athletic trainers will clean the counter tops and table daily. Water cows and whirl pools once a week.
8) The student athletic trainer will work to learn new taping techniques, treatment techniques, and general first aid.
9) The student athletic trainer will ensure that daily training room maintenance duties are completed before he/she leaves the training room.
10) The student athletic trainer must be sure that athletes are signing into the training room properly. In some cases student athletic trainers must sign athletes in properly.
11) The student athletic trainer will conduct herself/himself as a lady or gentleman at all times. Respect is to be shown to coaches, teachers, administrators, and other students.
12) The student trainer will not talk to anyone outside of the training room about a particular athlete's condition. All matters discussed in the training room should stay in the training room.13) The student athletic trainer will be subject to the Code of Conduct rules and punishments as stated in the Americas High School.Student Athletic Trainers ONLY