Preventing Injuries and Illness
Avoiding Flu and Colds
- Begin the season in proper physical condition.
- Get an adequate amount of rest. Give the body plenty of time to recover from workouts.
- Eat a balanced diet. Eat three meals per day. 65% carbohydrates, 20% fats, 15% protein
- Drink plenty of fluids (water is best! or electrolyte drinks, pure fruit juices) Avoid soda and caffeinated drinks.
- Work on proper flexibility.
- Check protective athletic equipment daily.
- Practice techniques that the coaches teach.
- Do not share food or drink with other people.
- Wash hands before eating, after using the restroom, periodically during the day including before AND after practice, and before bed time. Many virus’s fungi, and bacteria are contacted from hard surfaces.
- Shower after practices and do not share towels.
- Wear the proper clothing for the situation. Add clothing in cold weather and wear hats.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Get rest