Americas High SchoolAVID Site Team2019-2020Who makes up the AVID site team at Americas High School?
The Americas AVID site team consists of an administrator, the AVID classroom teacher(s), a guidance counselor, and subject area teachers from each of the core areas. These site team members serve as advocates for AVID students and the AVID program and provide a collegial support group working to ensure the program's success.
Principals provide instructional support and recognition, allocate resources to the AVID program, and ensure that the school's schedule and organization take into account the needs of the program.
- Patricia Cuevas - Principal
- Raquel Alva - AVID Administrator and Students A-C
- Ramon Aguilar - Students D-G
- Albert Hernandez - H-M
- Bonnie Avila - N-R
- Edith Ortiz - S-Z
- Carlos Sandoval - Director of Trailblazer Early College
AVID Coordinator and AVID Teachers teach the AVID Elective classes and work with other teachers to monitor student progress as well as with the support of the site team, oversee tutors, arrange motivational and enrichment activities, coordinate parent programs, and arrange for speakers and college tours. AVID teachers serve as site team coordinators and are responsible for overseeing the program and for sharing techniques with colleagues.
- Yadira A. Robles - AVID II, III , IV Teacher and Coordinator
- Roger Atilano - AVID I and English Teacher
- Manuel Barragan - AVID I and Social Studies Teacher
- Flora Coles - AVID I and English Teacher
- Joshua Gonzalez - AVID I, Speech, Psychology and Sociology Teacher
- Eddie Hinojos - AVID I, Libertas Coordinator and Teacher
- Christina Lopez - AVID I and Science Teacher
- Dolores McElyea - AVID I and English Teacher
- Jenny Renteria - AVID I and Math Teacher
- Samuel Sanchez - AVID I and Social Studies Teacher
- Dwan Smith - AVID I, II and Health Teacher
Guidance counselors, working with AVID teachers, use AVID criteria to screen and select candidates for the program. They ensure that AVID students are placed in college preparatory classes. They assist the AVID teacher in monitoring the achievement of AVID students and in disseminating information about the program. Additionally, they assist the AVID teacher in securing guest speakers, arranging field trips, and conducting parent meetings.
- Claudia Preciado - AVID Counselor and Students A-Chavez
- Aida Mata - Students Chavira-Garza
- Diana Aguirre - Students Gasca-Lopez
- Gaby Shimshock - Students Lujan-O
- Joanne Kirtley - Students P-R
- Lizbeth Arellano - Students S-Z
- Claudia Avila- All Trailblazer Early College Students
Subject area teachers from English, math, social studies, science, foreign language, and other subjects are trained in AVID program techniques, which they incorporate into their classroom instruction. They work with the AVID teacher to monitor student progress. A teacher from each core subject area serves on the AVID site team as an advocate for the AVID program and a liaison to the school community.
- Saul Anaya - Libertas
- Alma Contreras - Math
- Ben Corral - SCEI Coach
- Yadira De La Cruz - Foreign Language
- Shane Edmonson - English
- Virginia Gardea - English
- Veronica Garcia - CTE
- Steve Jolley - Science
- Kim Henry - English
- Patricia Hernandez - Science
- Julieta Ibarra - Foreign Language
- Brittany Knight - English
- Malissa Lopez - Science
- Katie McCraw - English
- Oscar Mendoza - Social Studies
- Elizabeth Mullins - Science
- Daniel Murillo - Social Studies
- Francisco Nolasco - CTE
- Joanna Sosa -Foreign Language
Tutors, recruited from colleges and universities, from retired teacher rolls, and/or from local business and industry, are trained in AVID strategies including writing, reading, inquiry, and collaboration. They have an important role in challenging and supporting students and providing support to the AVID teacher.