Eastlake Soccer Rules and Expectations
The following is the Eastlake High school policy concerning player commitment and conduct during the soccer season and off season. Here at Eastlake, we expect to develop and maintain a tradition of excellence. It is important for the players to have a positive reputation within our school and community through proper dress, behavior and playing style. All Eastlake soccer players and their parents must read and understand the following information.
As a player I will:
- Do my best to respect the game and play to the best of my ability at all times.
- Promise to work hard at practice and games to improve my soccer skills and my understanding of the game. I understand the amount of playing time I receive in games will be based on my skills, determination in practice, punctuality, and attitude. I know that I may receive more or less playing than other team members and playing time is not guaranteed and should not be expected.
- Attend all games and practices with proper preparation (i.e., mental, physical and nutritional, even if injured).
- Inform coach if I am unable to attend a game, training session, or team meeting.
- Lose playing time or be removed from the team if I fail to attend practices.
- Abide by my coach’s decision regarding playing time and positioning.
- Have a positive and never quit attitude.
- Exemplify and demonstrate sportsmanship at all times time.
- Commit to my team the entire season and playoffs.
- Communicate, Communicate, Communicate!
- Conduct myself with class and dignity.
- Give maximum effort in the classroom and maintain eligibility.
- Participate in all fundraiser activities.
- Respect all referees and coaches and accept their decisions without question.
- Give encouragement to my fellow teammates I understand that we as players must respect each other. This is essential for effective teamwork. It is not necessary that players are good friends off the field, but on the field, everyone must work toward the common goal -WINNING A DISTRICT AND EVENTUALLY A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!
- Immediately report any injury to my coach or trainer
- Respect my coach & my opponents
- Learn and obey the laws of the game
- Stay Fit
- Practice my individual techniques at home each day that I do not have training
- Learn the rules, policies & procedures of Eastlake soccer
- Approach the Coach with any personal soccer related problems
- Respect the Captain at all times
- Be the BEST that I can be at all times; for myself, my team, Eastlake and my family
As a player I will never:
- Engage in dissent toward an official or coach nor use profane or vulgar language.
- Engage in a physical altercation on or off the field during a game or at practice. Violation of this policy may be the basis for suspension or dismissal from the team.
- Leave a game field or practice without the permission of my coach.
- Use a controlled substance (drugs), tobacco products, or drink alcoholic beverages. Eastlake soccer policy is no drugs, no alcohol, and no destructive behavior. We will involve ourselves with the player and parents any time that a situation has an impact on our soccer team or our school. Violation of this policy may be the basis for suspension or dismissal from the team.
- Forget that I represent Eastlake High School.
Eastlake Playing Time
Based upon the size of the roster, there is a limited quantity of playing time available during games. Playing time will be based on the following factors:
- Attendance and Effort at Practice: This is done to reward players who attend practice, are cooperative and work hard while there. Players who are less skilled, but attend practice and give sincere effort will be rewarded with game playing time at the expense of those who do not attend mandatory practice sessions.
- Ability: All factors being equal, the greater a players understanding and vision of the game and the greater their physical ability, the more playing time one can expect.
- Player Attitude: The better a player's attitude, the better chance of playing. If a player is sluggish or having an off day, they may not get as much time as a player who is on top of their game.
- Position: You will be required to play the position that will best benefit the team, not the position that you think you should play.
Eastlake Game Day or Soccer Function Dress
Players should wear a standard outfit such as team shirt, warm up top or some other appropriate team attire at any team activity we will look alike. Captains or coach will inform you of the proper attire.
All players will be expected to adhere to the following travel rules:
- On any bus trip to the opponent’s school all noise needs to remain at a minimum.
- All players are expected to sit together during the games.
- Anyone wishing to leave with a parent after the game must get approval from an administrator and coach first, my preference is to arrive as a team and leave as a team. Rarely will this be approved.
- All trash must be picked up off the bus once it arrives back at Eastlake.
- Thank our bus driver.
Eastlake Soccer Uniform
Whenever an Eastlake soccer player is in uniform, they are representing their school and should wear their uniform properly and with pride. Please read and abide by the following guidelines:
- Bring all uniform equipment to every game including all uniform shirts, shorts, socks, shoes (cleats and turf depending on conditions), warm-up shirts, warm-up suits.
- Jerseys must always be tucked into shorts whenever you are wearing the uniform (not just during the game). Sliding pants should be the same color as the shorts.
- Players should be dressed alike during team warm-ups before games.
- Uniform socks will be pulled up whenever you have them on. Shin guards must always be covered by socks.
- Long sleeve shirts (under armor etc.) must be same color for all players.
- Arrive at games looking professional (i.e. Team Warm-Up Suit, Team Warm-Up Shirt).
- Leave your rings, watches, necklaces, bracelets, earrings, other jewelry (except for rubber bands or other elastic bands) at home or in your locker.
Have your equipment bag with you at all practices and games. Put bags carefully in a row on the sidelines at all games. Keep bags in a proper team location at practice.
Wash uniforms in cold water - Whites with whites - No bleach - Air Dry.
Eastlake Training (Practice) Advice
It is imperative to come to practice daily. You cannot miss practice sessions or practice poorly and expect to improve. If you have a problem attending a practice, give your coach a call, in advance.
- Pay attention to the coach in practice.
- Do not distract others at practice (e.g., conversing with teammates while attempting a drill is distracting to others).
- Practice at game speed (learning to do a skill in slow motion will not help in a game).
- Shinguards are mandatory at all training sessions.
- Unexcused absences will not be tolerated - can lead to suspensions or removal from team.
- In case of an injury you must see the trainer as soon as possible. While off with an injury the player still needs to attend practice and games. You are still part of the team.
Eastlake Game Day Preparation
Soccer is a very demanding sport. You must be prepared to do your best at every game. Here are a few basic guidelines:
- Come to each game mentally and physically prepared to do your best.
- Do not eat ANY fried foods, soda, candy or other unhealthy snacks 24 hours prior to a game.
- Be sure to arrive prior to the prescribed time, when you’re on time…. your late.
- Arrive at the game well rested. Avoid late nights on the night before a game. Fatigue, as a result of too little sleep, raises the risk of injury.
- Build up body fluids before the game. Start drinking water and or sports drinks as much as 24-48 hours before the game, and try to take in as much proper fluid as possible right up to game time.
- Eat sensibly, especially on the day of a game.
- A pre-game warm-up to get an abundant flow of blood to the muscles, followed by sensible, slow stretching activities designed to increase flexibility and minimize the possibility of muscle pulls or injury, are of vital importance.
- Make certain that you have proper equipment, and bring them to each practice and game.
- Proper fitting shoes and regulation shin guards are essential.
- Watches, jewelry, and hair pins should be left at home.
- Treat minor injuries promptly and properly. For muscle strains and bruises, remember the principle of "R-I-C-E" -- Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. See the trainer ASAP.
- Let your coach know before practice or a game of any condition that might affect your ability to play. Seek early medical help for physical problems that persist.
- Call or text in advance to tell your Coach if you will miss a practice or game.
Eastlake Travel Expectations (Varsity Travel)
Eastlake High School is committed to participating in tournaments outside of our immediate area. There are many benefits to this type of travel including:
- Gaining experience in playing higher levels of competition
- Playing in a playoff atmosphere
- Building team camaraderie
- Seeing and playing against different styles of play
- Preparing for a deep run in playoffs
- Preparing for a State Championship
- Team Activities
Parents and players should remember that team activities take priority over any personal agendas you may have. Soccer trips are not vacations. Obviously having fun is a part of all trips but we must remember that soccer must remain the top priority at all time
Team Behavior Rules
Coach, players, and parents should review and agree on general travel behavior requirements and consequences if violations are committed.
At the coach's discretion, players may be sent home at parent's additional expense if they violate serious behavior rules related to drugs, drinking, illegal activities, violent conduct, tobacco products or having members of the opposite sex in rooms at any time.
Eastlake insists on making player safety the top priority when players are traveling.
- Players are to act like young adults at all times in any public places.
- Each Player is required to be where the Coach wants you to be at the time the Coach sets.
- No one goes anywhere alone or leaves the hotel without permission from a coach.
- Hotel rooms must be kept neat and organized. We are guests of the hotel. Proper attire should be worn in the public areas of the hotel. Our reputation is on the line.
- Players are to be punctual and strictly follow all curfews.
- Any problems must be communicated to Coach immediately.
Remember that all players represent Eastlake Soccer!