We are ecstatic that you have decided to join our substitute family! We always remind everyone that substituting is not a job — it is a vocation. If you want to make a difference in a child's life, then you are the perfect candidate for TEAM SISD!
The Socorro Independent School District requires a minimum of 60 college semester credit hours for employment. A teaching certificate may be submitted, if applicable. The district also expects substitute teachers to possess the character and moral qualities required of all district employees.
- In order to be a substitute teacher in our district, you must have a minimun of 60 college credit hours from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Substitute Nurses must meet the requirements as set by the Department of Nursing.
- Substitute Pharmacists must meet the requirements as set by the SISD Employee Health Clinic.
All substitute Teachers, Pharmacists, and Nurses must apply online.
The Pre-Employment Affidavit is required and must be attached to your online application at the time that the posting closes.
In order for your application to be complete, you are required to submit the following documents to the Department of Human Resources:
- Official College or University transcripts with degree posted.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation dated within one year. All documents must be signed (no electronic signatures will be accepted and must be on official letterhead).
- Copy of Driver's License and Social Security Card.
- Only applications that are complete will be accepted. The Substitute Department will not take incomplete applications.
- Social Security Cards must be signed.
- Driver’s License must be current — no expired licenses will be accepted.
- Substitutes must fill out and sign the Criminal History Background Form.
Transcripts need to be collected in a sealed envelope or sent directly to:
Elva Chavez — Director of Secondary Staffing, Department of Human Resources
Once you submit your documentation, you will be scheduled for an interview at the District Service Center. During the interview, you will be asked to complete a technology task on a laptop.
After successfully completing this task, you will be requested to do a screening process.
- The Substitute Specialist will screen the application.
- If the application is complete, then it will proceed to the background check step.
- The Substitute Specialist will run the background form.
- If the applicant has a clean record, the Substitute Specialist will upload his/her credentials to SBEC, so the substitute (if needed) acquires his/her fingerprints.
- If the applicant has a “hit” on his/her record, the file will be given to the Director of Employee Relations for further investigation.
Once a Substitute has brought a copy of their fingerprint receipt, the Substitute Specialist will contact the applicant.
The applicant must attend a two-day virtual orientation. The new substitute orientation will be held via Microsoft Teams. The information provided in this orientation is intended to highlight some useful information. We strongly encourage all aplicants to become familiar with Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Office.
Regular Substitute: Picks up daily assignments from the Frontline System.
Permanent Substitute: Interviewed by a campus and is expected to be present every day and will receive their regular pay.
Long-Term Substitute: Responsible for a class (attendance, grades, etc). Will receive the $135.00 pay after the 10th day (no break in service).
Daily Pay Rate
- 60 hours+ $75.00
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution $100.00
- Certified Teacher $135.00
- Long-Term Substitute $135.00
- Certified Licensed Vocational Nurse $175.00
- Certified Registered Nurse $225.00
For more information, please contact:
Director of Secondary Staffing
Administrative Specialist I (Substitutes)
Amanda Rey Palafox
Human Resources Specialist