Free GED® Vouchers
A limited number of free GED® test vouchers for an amount not to exceed the cost of one GED® exam, inclusive of all subject areas or the complete battery (currently valued at $145) is available to eligible test takers who meet the following requirements:
- be 21 years of age or older at the time of the request (Vouchers are for the exclusive use of the eligible person requesting them; transferring vouchers to other persons is stricitly prohibited and may be subject to criminal penalties)
- have government issued picture ID such as Driver's License, State ID, Passport or Matricula Consular
- lack a high school diploma or its equivalent and not be currently enrolled in high school
- be a Texas resident in El Paso, Brewster, Culberson, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis or Presidio county (TX ID/Driver's License, bank statement or utility bill required )
- Register in ged.com and designate Socorro ISD as a program you are interested in attending GED® classes in (it is not required to attend classes, this designation allows Socorro ISD to verify your GED® scores.)
- be GED® test–ready by having a score of 145 or higher on all GED Ready® practice tests (Math, Language Arts, Science and Social Studies) or proof of having previously passed some of these tests. (SISD has a limited number of GED Ready® vouchers which will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis or you can purchase GED Ready® tests directly from ged.com for $6 per test.)
Fill out the following form (average of 3 minutes to complete) and a Socorro ISD staff member will contact you within 2 business days to provide you with additional instructions. Questions? Review the frequently asked questions below or call 915-937-1700.
Have GED Ready® scores lower than 145 on any practice test? Register for free HSE/GED classes (currently taught online only) at Socorro Community Education to boost your scores. Click here for registration information or call 915-937-1700.
Frequently Asked Questions about the HSE/GED® Voucher Program
Are there any exceptions to the HSE/GED® Voucher program requirements?
No. You must meet all requirements at the time of making your request for voucher. No exceptions.
If I meet all qualifications for the voucher program, am I guaranteed that I will receive a voucher?
No. There is a limited number of vouchers available. Qualified applicants who do not receive a voucher will be placed on a waiting list until new vouchers become available.
I already passed one or more tests. Can I use the voucher to pay for the remaining tests?
Yes. You can request one or more vouchers if you meet the all requirements above and the cost is not greater than one complete GED exam.
Can I use the voucher for a retake of a test previously did not pass?
Yes. There is a limited number of retake vouchers, but you must still meet all the requirements above.
Is the free voucher program available for the Hi-Set HSE exam?
No. At this point the voucher program is only available for the GED® exam
Where do the funds for these vouchers come from?
House Bill (HB) 3, enacted by the 86th Texas Legislature, Regular Session (2019), added new §48.302, Texas Education Code, titled “Subsidy for High School Equivalency Examination for Certain Individuals.”