Student Dress CodeThe District’s dress code is set at a minimum standard by the District in Policy FNCA. The campus may adopt a more stringent code that meets the specific demands and needs of the campus and community.
- Students shall be dressed and groomed in a manner that is clean and neat and that will not be a health or safety hazard to themselves or others.
- The district prohibits any clothing or grooming that in the principal’s judgment may reasonably be expected to cause disruption of or interference with normal school operations. A campus handbook may list specific examples of appropriate and inappropriate clothing, hair, jewelry, or manner of dress.
- The district prohibits pictures, emblems, or writings on clothing that:
- Are lewd, offensive, vulgar or obscene.
- Advertise or depict tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, or any other substance prohibited by district policy
- Is evidence of membership or affiliation in any gang.
- The district prohibits Pre-K-8th grade students from having:
- Hair styles which cause undue attention or a health and/or safety hazard (spikes, mohawks, etc.)
- Unnatural hair colors which cause undue attention
- The student and parents may determine the student’s personal dress and grooming standards, provided that they comply with the general guidelines set out above and the district's dress code for students in the campus handbooks and/or Code of Conduct/ Discipline Management Plan.
- If the principal determines that a student's grooming violates the dress code, the student shall be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student shall be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day, until a parent or designee brings an acceptable change of clothing to the school or until the problem is otherwise corrected.
- The principal, in cooperation with the sponsor, coach, or other person in charge of an extracurricular activity, may regulate the dress and grooming of students who participate in the activity. Students who violate those standards may be removed or excluded from the activity for a period SISD 2021-22 Student Code of Conduct Department of Administrative Services 58 determined by the principal or sponsor and may be subject to other disciplinary action.
- Parents, teachers, students and other community members shall reach consensus in the decision to require uniforms, [FNCA (LOCAL)] Every campus electing to adopt and implement a school uniform policy shall include options to compliment the other agreed upon school uniform options:
- Khaki pants and a white polo shirt without a school logo; or
- School uniform pants and a school colored polo shirt without a school logo.
- Physical Education uniform bottoms (shorts or sweat pants in any color) and a white, grey, or school colored t-shirt without school logo.
- Student ID badges shall be worn as required by each individual campus
Online versions of SISD Policies are provided as a courtesy and for your convenience. While every effort has been made to try to ensure that the online version is consistent with the official copy, please keep in mind that online documents should be considered “unofficial” copies.
Official copies of SISD policy may be found in the District Service Center, at 12440 Rojas Drive, El Paso, TX 79928.
For further information or assistance, please contact Lupe Lujan, Coordinator of Administrative Services at (915) 937- 0054.