Dress Code 2022-2023
It is the philosophy of the Socorro Independent School District and Helen Ball Elementary that students should maintain high standards of dress, grooming, and appearance. As per Policy FNCA (LOCAL), a universal uniform (Khaki pants and white polo shirt) may be worn at any SISD school which has elected to implement a school uniform policy.Uniforms:
In order to develop consistency across the campus, students must follow the stated uniform guidelines below:
Pants/Shorts/Skirts/ Skorts and shoes:
- Pre-K3-4: Gold Polo shirt (or white polo shirt) (with or without school logo)
- K- 5th: Red, black, or white polo shirt (with or without the school logo)
- Khaki or black in color
- Shoes need to be safe for walking and running (tennis shoes recommended)
- Monday: College shirt can be worn with jeans
- Tuesday-Thursday: Red, black, white polo
- Friday: Spirit shirt (any shirt previously purchased at HBE or uniform shirt) can be worn with jeans
- Scholars will wear respectable clothing free of gang association, profanity, alcohol and drug-related illustrations.
- Scholars will wear pants that fit properly. (Baggy pants and bicycle shorts will not be allowed)
- Scholars will wear shirts with appropriate sleeves. (Spaghetti straps or halters will not be allowed). No midriffs showing
- Scholars will wear shorts and/or skirts at an appropriate length. (The length of the shorts/skirt must exceed the length of fingertips at arm’s length)
- Scholars will be asked to remove any clothing, jewelry and/or accessories that interfere with classroom instruction or is a safety/health hazard.
- Sunglasses, hats, hoods (from hoodies) are not to be worn in the building.
- Ear piercings permitted (must be stud style only and small in diameter, no gauges or body piercings)
- Hair should not be a distraction or disruption to daily high-quality instruction. Natural hair colors only (no unnatural hair colors, including unnatural colored hair extensions (blue, bright red, pink, purple, etc.)
These items are not permitted:
- Electronic devices (Helen Ball Elementary will not be responsible for theft of these items.)
- Chewing gum
- Bandanas, drop rags, hair nets,
- Spiked or studded jewelry or belts.
- Chain belts, chain wallets.
- Writing on hands, arms, or other visible body parts
- Shoes with wheels
- Any clothing or item that is deemed as distracting and interrupts the learning process by administration
If a student is found outside of the dress code, the following steps will be taken:
- 1st offense---Teacher contacts parents for a change of clothes. If a parent is not available, the student will be given the opportunity to change from the clothes bank and borrow a dress code item.
- 2nd offense---Scholars will be sent to office. Parents will be contacted by a campus administrator. The scholars will receive one (1) day of lunch detention.
Persistent offenses may result in an office referral. Every offense, thereafter, the scholars will receive one (1) day of lunch detention.
- Scholars may bring cell phones to school.
- No cell phones on State Testing Dates.
- Cell phones must be turned off during the entire instructional day/afterschool tutoring portion of the school day.
- Cell phones out and visible during the school day (including inside the restrooms) will be taken and must be picked up at school by a parent, regardless of how or if the student is using the phone.
There is a $15.00 retrieval fee as per SISD Board Policy on the second offense and any offense thereafter.Deliveries
- If your scholars will be sharing snacks (cupcakes, cookies, etc.) with their classmates in celebration of their birthday, items can be dropped off at the front desk. Please label items with the scholar's name and grade level. To not disrupt instruction, students will not be called out of class. Please let your child know in advance to stop at the desk.