Residents as Substitute Teachers Logistics:
- Days Per Week: Residents will substitute one day per week.
- Day of the Week for Substitute Teaching: Assigned resident substitute teaching day is Friday.
- Start Date: Fall-start residents will begin substitute teaching week 5. The first four Fridays they will observe classrooms in which they could substitute. Spring-start residents will begin substitute teaching week 5. The first four Fridays they will observe classrooms in which they could substitute.
- Location: Assigned campus
- District Based Professional Development: Residents will attend job embedded professional development (anything during the work day will be compensated) and can attend optional after-school and summer professional development training.
- Parent nights: (residency expectation)
- All staff development days: (residency expectation)
- Saturday Work Days: (Voluntary)
- Campus Based Professional Development: Residents will attend campus-based professional development.
- Additional Training and Support: The following additional training and support will be offered.
- Office hours: Before or after school on a rotating basis. Residents will not be pulled from residency for office hours.
- GT Training: Residents will still be offered GT training with a deadline. Yvonne will communicate deadlines to SIte Coordinators. Fall Start: August to December and Spring Start: January to May
- Substitute Training: Full day and substitute sessions for the first four weeks.
- Special Education Department: Will support the sub-training for all residents. May go observe classrooms.
- Mentor Teacher Training: Mentor teachers will attend UTEP's Mentor Teacher training, where they are trained in co-teaching approaches.
- Absences from Residency: Residents will report absences to Site Coordinators. Residents can miss up to two days per semester. They can make-up days through intercession, Saturday school, etc. and record their make-up day in a shared google document. *Anything over 5 hours will be considered a full day. (Make-up days must be with students). Please note that paid make-up days have not been established, but more information will be forthcoming.
- Communication: Residents will not communicate directly with Human Resources. Yvonne Romero will be the primary communicator for HR Processes.
Expectations After Graduation: Residents will work within the district until the last day of school. The structure after graduation will remain the same: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Residents can attend on Wednesdays voluntarily or to “make-up” absences throughout the year.